- NEWS & ACHIEVEMENTS -

2011
Delicious Magazine Recipe Feature Recipes published in Princes Trust Charity 'Trusty' Cookbook Guest panellist on UKTV Food's 'Market Kitchen' Recipes published in 'Come Dine With Me Special Occasions' book Blog named as a "Media Must-Have" in Jan & Feb issue of Olive Magazine

2010
Launch of Sabrina's one-to-one private cookery tuition Guest critic on Gordon Ramsay's 'F-Word' series finale Organised Top Chef Charity Banquet for Haiti raising £70,000 for 'Action Against Hunger' Seasonal Food & Recipe Writer for 'Blue Tomato'

2009
Winner of Channel 4's 'Come Dine With Me' (West London) 'Bronze' winner in professionally judged 'AA Home Cooking Competition 2009' Appointed resident cookery columnist for Foodepedia

Japanese Rice Risotto with Miso, Lemongrass and Scallops

Japanese Rice Risotto with Miso, Lemongrass and Scallops

Seasonal Penne Mediterraneo

Seasonal Penne Mediterraneo

Persian Split Pea, Dried Lime and Lamb Stew

Persian Split Pea, Dried Lime and Lamb Stew

Wednesday, 9 March 2011

RECIPE: Tamarind, Lamb & Aubergine Stew

How often do you use Tamarind in your cookery? Not used nearly as often in the West, Tamarind is a staple of the East; it use stretches from Africa and India, through the Middle East (including Iran) all the way to Southeast Asia. It's use extends from everything like marinades and stews to drinks and candy; and despite being famed for its incredibly sour flavour, there is a certain pleasing sweetness to it also.

This particular recipes comes with a confession on my part. It's creation came as a result of **not having** the required ingredients to make another dish using my little chunks of lamb neck fillet. Originally, I was going to make a Massamun curry but realised I didn't have any coconut milk in the my cupboards (a first) and so this dish was born. Ingredients vicariously chucked together in a pot, fingers crossed, hoping for the best... only to end in a triumphant result! Splendid, utterly splendid and here is the recipe;

Tamarind, Lamb and Aubergine Stew (Serves 4)

400g of lamb neck cut into large chunks (1.5 inches thick)
1 jar of Barts Tamarind paste
2 x Knorr beef stock pots
6 shallots or 1 medium onion, roughly sliced (not chopped and not too thin)
6 inches fresh ginger, grated
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 heaped tablespoons of caster sugar
2 heaped teapspoons of ground cumin
1 heaped teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 heaped teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 large green chilli **optional, but delicious** sliced thickly into about 6 pieces
2 medium sized aubergines, chopped thickly into 2 inch squared chunks (roughly)
Vegetable oil
Water

Preheat a deep pan over a medium/hight heat (or medium if using gas) and add enough oil to cover the base of the ban. Saute your onions until they begin to brown and then add your lamb to the pan and stir, keeping the meat moving, so its gets nicely browned but not cooked through. Add the grated ginger and stir well for another minute or so. Follow by adding the tamarind paste, chopped tomatoes and sugar and stir well before adding the spices. Lastly add your aubergine chunks to the pan, stirring again and then pour enough water over the ingredient to just about cover them. Stir one last time before turning the temperature down to a low-medium heat (or low is using gas) and cook for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes to prevent it sticking. Serve with basmati rice or lovely naan bread.

6 comments:

  1. How often do you use Tamarind in your cookery? Answer "Never". I have a packet in my pantry which has been looking at me every time I open the door. I've been too scared to try it. Thanks for this recipe - I've now got the inspiration on how to use this wonderful ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure! I also marinade chicken/fish in honey, tamarind and lemongrass. Its yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum that looks really tasty, I love aubergines. I think I will try and make this at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is definitely worth making! So simple and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sabrina...I have just been watching Come Dine With Me. Your food looked absolutely amazingly! My daughter and I were salivating at every mouthful taken:) Please can I have the recipe for the aubergine dish..please please please...

    How you put up with Amy and Hugo I'll never know..Sabrina you're such a nice dignified lady x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Terri, I don't exactly have the patience of a saint usually, so I dont even know how I got through it! If you email me through my blog, I will send you the aubergine recipe xx

    ReplyDelete