- NEWS & ACHIEVEMENTS -

2011
Delicious Magazine Recipe Feature Recipes published in Princes Trust Charity 'Trusty' Cookbook Guest panellist on UKTV Food's 'Market Kitchen' Recipes published in 'Come Dine With Me Special Occasions' book Blog named as a "Media Must-Have" in Jan & Feb issue of Olive Magazine

2010
Launch of Sabrina's one-to-one private cookery tuition Guest critic on Gordon Ramsay's 'F-Word' series finale Organised Top Chef Charity Banquet for Haiti raising £70,000 for 'Action Against Hunger' Seasonal Food & Recipe Writer for 'Blue Tomato'

2009
Winner of Channel 4's 'Come Dine With Me' (West London) 'Bronze' winner in professionally judged 'AA Home Cooking Competition 2009' Appointed resident cookery columnist for Foodepedia

Japanese Rice Risotto with Miso, Lemongrass and Scallops

Japanese Rice Risotto with Miso, Lemongrass and Scallops

Seasonal Penne Mediterraneo

Seasonal Penne Mediterraneo

Persian Split Pea, Dried Lime and Lamb Stew

Persian Split Pea, Dried Lime and Lamb Stew

Saturday, 19 March 2011

Crazy Eats (or Treats?)

Lately I have found myself craving bizarre foods that most pregnant women would turn their nose up at... Hot cross buns with Marmite, sharp cheddar cheese and spicy lime pickle and all other manner of bizarre combinations. So when I popped into Selfridges and saw the very glamours Vosges 'Mo's Dark Chocolate Bacon Bar', I had to take it home with me.

As this is an import, you can expect to pay an eye-watering £7.25 per bar for the privilege of getting your gums around this fusion of dark chocolate and salty bacon. The taxi driver that drove me home asked me if I'd bought any nice and I told him about my find and offered him a piece, to which he replied "Fanks love but I fink I'll give that a miss". So I guess it's not everybody's cup of tea, which is fair enough.

But what does this bizarre marriage of Franken-fusion actually taste like? Well it tastes like your average good quality dark chocolate with the addition of chewy bacon bits in it. In a blind test, my Guinea pig (in this case, my poor Mum) was made to close her eyes and try it. "God, ok... I'm not going to be eating any bugs am I?" No Mum, no bugs... just chocolate with a different ingredient. At first bite she commented that it contained some kind of nuts, then salt; but she couldn't put her finger on the key ingredient. After divulging the porky secret to her, we both felt that there wasn't enough bacon in the bar to merit the a repeat purchase. I guess we are both from the school of "If you do something, then do it properly." So although I would recommend that you try it if you have the opportunity, I would suggest you race out to buy it. Bizarre combinations don't always work and in this case, they seem to make a bigger statement than they do impact.

Selfridges - Oxford Street, London W1

2 comments:

  1. this definitely does sound a little weird. Chocolate and Chilli is about the weirdest I've tasted - and that was quite good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty weird sounding but lacked enough bacon to be honest! I'm about to try Marmite chocolate! THAT should be more interesting!

    ReplyDelete