- NEWS & ACHIEVEMENTS -

2011
Delicious Magazine Recipe Feature Recipes published in Princes Trust Charity 'Trusty' Cookbook Guest panellist on UKTV Food's 'Market Kitchen' Recipes published in 'Come Dine With Me Special Occasions' book Blog named as a "Media Must-Have" in Jan & Feb issue of Olive Magazine

2010
Launch of Sabrina's one-to-one private cookery tuition Guest critic on Gordon Ramsay's 'F-Word' series finale Organised Top Chef Charity Banquet for Haiti raising £70,000 for 'Action Against Hunger' Seasonal Food & Recipe Writer for 'Blue Tomato'

2009
Winner of Channel 4's 'Come Dine With Me' (West London) 'Bronze' winner in professionally judged 'AA Home Cooking Competition 2009' Appointed resident cookery columnist for Foodepedia

Japanese Rice Risotto with Miso, Lemongrass and Scallops

Japanese Rice Risotto with Miso, Lemongrass and Scallops

Seasonal Penne Mediterraneo

Seasonal Penne Mediterraneo

Persian Split Pea, Dried Lime and Lamb Stew

Persian Split Pea, Dried Lime and Lamb Stew

Monday, 24 January 2011

TREND ALERT: Kimchee is King!

I wouldn't dare boast and say that I like to keep ahead of trends but you may remember back in 2009, I wrote a piece on Korean food... extolling the virtues of that fabulous Korean staple of fermented cabbage pickle, known as Kimchee. CLICK HERE to refresh your memory...

Well apparently in this months edition of The Observer Food Monthly, they are saying that Kimchee is the new food trend for 2011. At this point, I would like to say "I told you so!"

It's bizarre, it stinks, it tastes fizzy on your tongue... but it is addictive stuff, great for weight loss and absolutely heavenly with grilled/BBQ'd meats and a side of fluffy steamed rice. I still can't get enough of the stuff and when I travelled around Asia, Korea was the only country where I lose weight! I ate tonnes of food and tonnes of Kimchee and I lost 2 kilos! I may have subsequently 'found' those kilos in Thailand... but hey, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! I am prepared to suffer for my art.

Kimchee is sold in most Oriental supermarkets, so stock up today. It takes a little while to get used to it, but I guarantee that if you like garlic, chilli and cabbage... you will LOVE it! To try Korean BBQ for yourself, I recommend paying a visit to 'Arang Restaurant' in Golden Square, London W1. http://www.arang.co.uk/ Lunches are super cheap at under 10 quid for a set menu and dinners are pretty great value too!

5 comments:

  1. Ooh interesting - I've never heard of this but have fermented vegetables on my list for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah as long as you have some BBQ'd meat (Korean marinade is traditionally soya sauce, sesame oil and a touch of sugar) and some steamed rice... you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you ever make it to Toronto. There's a few spots on Bloor street in K-Town that make their own Kimchi in several varieties of hot that are delicious ... and yet the smell is really sort of indescribable. Well, like rotting cabbage I guess. But thanks for extolling the virtues of one of my personal favourites. Glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Salty Pear! Thank you for your lovely comment... I get lots of comments and mail from Toronto and one of my best friends is from there and tells me how wonderful it is and how i must go, so it is on my list for sure! Thanks for the great advice my new friend!

    ReplyDelete