- NEWS & ACHIEVEMENTS -

2011
Delicious Magazine Recipe Feature Recipes published in Princes Trust Charity 'Trusty' Cookbook Guest panellist on UKTV Food's 'Market Kitchen' Recipes published in 'Come Dine With Me Special Occasions' book Blog named as a "Media Must-Have" in Jan & Feb issue of Olive Magazine

2010
Launch of Sabrina's one-to-one private cookery tuition Guest critic on Gordon Ramsay's 'F-Word' series finale Organised Top Chef Charity Banquet for Haiti raising £70,000 for 'Action Against Hunger' Seasonal Food & Recipe Writer for 'Blue Tomato'

2009
Winner of Channel 4's 'Come Dine With Me' (West London) 'Bronze' winner in professionally judged 'AA Home Cooking Competition 2009' Appointed resident cookery columnist for Foodepedia

Japanese Rice Risotto with Miso, Lemongrass and Scallops

Japanese Rice Risotto with Miso, Lemongrass and Scallops

Seasonal Penne Mediterraneo

Seasonal Penne Mediterraneo

Persian Split Pea, Dried Lime and Lamb Stew

Persian Split Pea, Dried Lime and Lamb Stew

Monday, 1 November 2010

Christmas Traditions and Family Favourites

It's the 1st of November and the Christmas decorations have gone up in my local high street. Unbelievable, but true! So seeing as Christmas will probably be here before we know it, I thought we could share some of our favourite traditional and not so traditional recipes and tips for Christmas Eve/Day and Boxing Day... Hell, even New Years!

My family and I sit down to a non-traditional giant rib of beef with all the trimmings including Yorkshire puds, roast potatoes, stuffing balls, sausages and bacon-wrapped sausages. It works for us; we ditch the Christmas pudding (because nobody likes it) and I serve sticky toffee pudding with vanilla bean custard instead. I also like to bake either cookies or brownies with my nephews on Christmas Day too because it gives the kids a real sense of involvement in the preparations.

Boxing day usually features either duck, roast lamb or roast chicken with things like Gratin Dauphinoise or crispy thinly sliced potatoes and rosemary. New Years Eve is mainly about decadence; so lashings of indulgent Champagne with seafood, rack of lamb, lots of side dishes and cheeses etc... and very little dessert because everyone is usually drunk and dancing!

My best tips for Christmas are don't be afraid to cut corners! I usually buy Duchy beef gravy from Waitrose/Ocado to beef up my gravy and at Christmas they also do a fantastic poultry gravy too. I par-cook all my stuffing balls, sausages and roast potatoes and then finish them off in the oven the next day. I always put out a good selection of crudites, chips and dips on the table before the meal; which always buys me some extra time in the kitchen just in case I am running behind schedule.

This year I would love to add a few new additions to the table, so what are your festive traditions and what do you like to eat? What are your family favourites and which are your favourite tips / recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment