- NEWS & ACHIEVEMENTS -

2011
Delicious Magazine Recipe Feature Recipes published in Princes Trust Charity 'Trusty' Cookbook Guest panellist on UKTV Food's 'Market Kitchen' Recipes published in 'Come Dine With Me Special Occasions' book Blog named as a "Media Must-Have" in Jan & Feb issue of Olive Magazine

2010
Launch of Sabrina's one-to-one private cookery tuition Guest critic on Gordon Ramsay's 'F-Word' series finale Organised Top Chef Charity Banquet for Haiti raising £70,000 for 'Action Against Hunger' Seasonal Food & Recipe Writer for 'Blue Tomato'

2009
Winner of Channel 4's 'Come Dine With Me' (West London) 'Bronze' winner in professionally judged 'AA Home Cooking Competition 2009' Appointed resident cookery columnist for Foodepedia

Japanese Rice Risotto with Miso, Lemongrass and Scallops

Japanese Rice Risotto with Miso, Lemongrass and Scallops

Seasonal Penne Mediterraneo

Seasonal Penne Mediterraneo

Persian Split Pea, Dried Lime and Lamb Stew

Persian Split Pea, Dried Lime and Lamb Stew

Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Maldon Sea Salt (Oh how I love thee...)

Anyone who knows me, will tell you that I have an unhealthy obsession with Maldon Sea Salt and cannot imagine cooking without it. So strong is my adoration for this brand that I am no longer able to use table salt and have taken to snobbily turning up my nose at anything less than Maldon. Bad? Yes, I know... but Maldon Sea Salt is harvested in Essex and I am so proud that we have such a great key ingredient available on our door step.

If you think Maldon Sea Salt, priced at £1.99, isn't anything special, then you would be wrong because back in Spring I visited one of the top restaurants in the world Chef Thomas Keller's 'Per Se' and they actually had a whole course devoted to tasting salts... Exotic hues of purple and coral from around the world including Himalaya and Hawaii and surprising 'Maldon Sea Salt'! Not that I ever needed any further convincing of its wonderful properties! It has even made several appearances on American cookery shows, making it quite the luxury ingredient over there.

I am actually convinced that Maldons gentle and truly delicious flavour makes all my food taste even better. I sprinkle it on bread and butter, in hot water to boil pasta and rice, on all kinds of roast meats and, of course, the most important thing that I could NEVER use another salt for... Tomatoes. Tomatoes + Maldon Sea Salt = No need for anything else. Don't believe me??? You should try it for yourself. Take 6 large tomatoes and literally hack them up, season generously with a few pinches of Maldon Sea Salt and some black pepper; drizzle a little olive oil and allow them to rest for an hour or so. What comes pouring out of the tomatoes is what can only be described as the pure 'essence' of tomato. A wonderful clear consomme is released and everytime I make this, my cousin Laily grabs the bowl and drinks the liquid like there is no tomorrow, so it must be good right?

Salt brings out the natural juices of food, which is great for vegetables and fruit, but not so great with meat and fish, although a little seasoning is essential. Whatever you use it for, I cannot recommend Maldon Sea Salt enough; it's great, it's British and it's ours!

For more information on this wonderful ingredient, visit:
http://www.maldonsalt.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment