- NEWS & ACHIEVEMENTS -

2011
Delicious Magazine Recipe Feature Recipes published in Princes Trust Charity 'Trusty' Cookbook Guest panellist on UKTV Food's 'Market Kitchen' Recipes published in 'Come Dine With Me Special Occasions' book Blog named as a "Media Must-Have" in Jan & Feb issue of Olive Magazine

2010
Launch of Sabrina's one-to-one private cookery tuition Guest critic on Gordon Ramsay's 'F-Word' series finale Organised Top Chef Charity Banquet for Haiti raising £70,000 for 'Action Against Hunger' Seasonal Food & Recipe Writer for 'Blue Tomato'

2009
Winner of Channel 4's 'Come Dine With Me' (West London) 'Bronze' winner in professionally judged 'AA Home Cooking Competition 2009' Appointed resident cookery columnist for Foodepedia

Japanese Rice Risotto with Miso, Lemongrass and Scallops

Japanese Rice Risotto with Miso, Lemongrass and Scallops

Seasonal Penne Mediterraneo

Seasonal Penne Mediterraneo

Persian Split Pea, Dried Lime and Lamb Stew

Persian Split Pea, Dried Lime and Lamb Stew

Sunday, 22 August 2010

RECIPE: Blueberry Muffins - Easy Like Sunday Morning!!!

Nothing pleases me more on a Sunday morning than baking! Baking and Sundays are a match made in heaven! That comforting cakey scent with a hint of vanilla wafting through the house is enough to whip me into a frenzy, especially as I actually cannot bake for a damn! (**Insert screeching record sound**) Yes folks, that's what I said... I am not great with baking. However that's not to say that I do not bake or have not baked in the past, it's just that my real flair kicks in when I can be creative and chuck in a pinch ful of this or a handful of that into a dish. As you know, there is not always room for this kind of creativity in baking... But I have gotten rather good at making Banana, Dark Chocolate and Nut cake and I make a mean Lemon Drizzle cake too but apart from that and the odd Tarte Tatin, I tend to stay away from baking in general, until I was given this fantastic recipe for feather-light muffins from my dear friends Mo and Kim! The recipe is really lovely, versatile and makes the most fluffy and delicious muffins! Naturally I like to add my own spin to a recipe, so I have tweaked it a little and I just had to share it with you, so here goes!

Brilliant Blueberry Muffins! (Perfect baking for kids too!)

225g of plain flour
3 good teaspoons of baking soda
100g of golden caster sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla essence (the good stuff please!)
1 medium egg
250ml of milk
50ml melted butter
1/2 teaspoon of maldon sea salt
1 punnet of fresh blueberries

12 muffin cases (which I place in a muffin tray to hold their shape whilst baking)

Preheat your oven to 190 degrees (or 180 if fan assisted).

Mix all your dry ingredients well together, then in a seperate bowl beat the egg, milk and vanilla essence together and add the melted butter to it. (TIP: If the milk is cold, the butter will instantly solidify, in which case microwave the liquid for about 15 seconds to resolve) Then add the liquids into the dry ingredients and stir a few times before adding your blueberries. Incorporate the blueberries by folding them into the batter but DO NOT over mix the batter or try to get it perfectly smooth as this will make heavy muffins and not the lovely light ones we want!

Divide the mixture into your 12 muffin cases and bakes for 20-22 minutes, using a toothpick to poke them in the centre to check if they are cooked... If the toothpick comes out clean of batter, then they are cooked. Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes before serving warm! And if you dont want to use blueberries you can add raspberries (with 50g extra sugar) or 1 1/2 chopped bananas, pecans and maple syrup or 100g of chocolate chunks... Its entirely up to you! They are also great warm served with some proper vanilla bean custard!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful. Guess what i am doing for my son Chris next Sunday morning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what lil' ms Leah and I will be doing on Sunday? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great guys!!! Cooking with the kids is fantastic! Get them started early and they will cook confidently for a lifetime! That's how I started! Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete